Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mural design

Project: Mural
Theme: African motifs
Dimensions: 5 x 7 meters (approx: 16.5 feet x 23 feet)
Location: wall of court yard at Sea Cliff Court Luxury Serviced Apartments
City/Country: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

When I came home in January, my parents asked me if I was interested in doing a mural for a Sea Cliff Court, a serviced apartment hotel, they designed. Obviously, I couldn't pass up a chance to do a mural, so I said I'd give it a shot. The catch: the design had to have African patterns, colors, etc.
I did some research in African design, and looked through African art and architecture books. Turns out that a lot of the art is found on walls of buildings, so I focused on books for interior design around Africa, since my work would also be on a building. I had to pause the process when I went back to Drew for my last semester. I started it up when I came back to Dar in June. I finished the design a few weeks ago. My parents and I bought the paint. We're hiring a local artist to do the actual painting. We've found an artist, so now we just have to arrange a time for him to start and get him set up! Hopefully the painting will begin soon, and end before I head back to the US.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks really cool, nanu!! please post a pic when it's all done too!