Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Amy Winehouse


Amy Winehouse
3D Illustration - fabric, Paperclay, wire, paint, wood, other stuff, Photoshop
10 x 7 inches
actual figure - 15 x 8 x 8 inches

Project #3 in Illustration Markets was to interview an illustrator working today and make an art piece for the same market that the interviewee works in.  I interviewed Chris Sickels a few weeks ago.  He works in a lot of different markets but primarily editorial illustration.  Since Sickels works in 3D, I chose to the the same.  I made Amy Winehouse.

She was a TON of fun to make.  Making the accessories and clothing was the best part; it was a bit like grown up paperdolls.  The purse is my favorite part.  It's made from a furry leaf or seedpod I found on the street.  I soaked it in water to soften it to make it easier to sew.  After it dried, it stiffened up and held the sewn form.  I stuffed it with a tiny flask I made and a bag of coke (corner of a ziplock bag filled with salt, then sealed).

I photographed her with the help of Megan Berkheiser, Drawing For illustrators professor, and her husband, Mike.  Megan works three dimensionally too so I was able to get lots of feed back from her on how to go about working on the background.  I drew and painted the background on paper with watercolors, scanned it in and worked it up on Photoshop, playing with color saturations, levels, and textures.

No comments: